For decades, canned beer didn’t get the attention it deserved. Considered to be inferior to its bottled counterpart, the humble tinny was left to the unsophisticated drinker.
Not any more. Today, sales of the canned variety have rocketed with all major craft beer brands adopting the can; Beavertown, Camden Town brewery, FourPure Brewing to name a few.
So what’s the big deal? Here are five reasons why the can is here to stay:
1. They make beer taste better. Natural light is beer’s worst enemy. Cans let in less light compared to bottles making ‘skunked’ beer less likely.
Quick tip: To prevent your lips touching the can (and tasting the metal), always pour canned beer into a glass. Cans have a water soluble lining which doesn’t react with the beer, meaning your beer should never taste metallic.
2. They’re better for the environment. Cans are lighter and take up less space compared to bottles. Therefore they need less energy to transport giving cans a smaller carbon foot print. Aluminium is more efficiently recycled compared to glass too.
3. They’re cheaper. It directly follows that lower transportation and distribution costs make cans cheaper than bottles.
4. They’re more practical. Ever dropped a bottle of your favourite brew just to watch smash into a million pieces? Ever tried to awkwardly stack bottles in the fridge? Point made.
5. They cool down quicker. Cans cool down quicker than bottles in the fridge – perfect for the impatient drinker.
Can convert? Still not convinced? Let us know what you think and leave a comment below.
Photo by Mark Walker/Flickr/CC BY 2.0